Tuesday 24 May 2011

Sun-dried tomato and cheese loaf with sourdough leaven

My wife found a jar of sun-dried tomato that is expiring in a week and asked me what am I going to do with it. I bought it a few months back to make some bread with it but I completely forgot about it.
After flick through a couple of books and decided to make a sun-dried tomato cheese loaf.
The bread is base on Andrew Whitley's book Bread Matter's Basic Savory Bread Dough, but I use my sourdough starter to make a sponge instead of using fresh yeast. I also added 2g of instance yeast to the final dough to speed up the final rising.

The sponge
1 tablespoon of my sourdough starter
125g Water
75g Strong White Flour
50g Standard Flour

I made this sponge early in the morning before I go to work and leave it on the counter for 10 hours.

The final dough
225g Sponge
225g Strong White Flour
4g Salt
15g Olive oil
1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
105g Water

The filling.
1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
pizza paste
grated cheese

My wife help me to put everything in the bread machine at 5:30pm to run the dough cycle so that after work when we finish dinner I can start shaping the loaf.

 Take the dough out of the bread machine and let it rest for 10 minutes and then roll out the dough and put on the filling. Roll the dough into a log and then cut the dough down the center length wise.

Take the two cut pieces and braid them together and put in a pan.

Allow it to rest till double in size.

 Bake for 35 minutes at 190 degress.

The bread taste very good and soft.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! I'm making it right now. But tell me, did you really cook it at 190? Or did you mean 390?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah 190 degree Celsius. so it would be about 375 Fahrenheit. ben

    ReplyDelete